Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Version compatibility

2013-11-25 13:03:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Version compatibility
From: Simone Caronni <negativo17 AT gmail DOT com>
To: Hiren Joshi <josh AT moonfruit DOT com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 19:00:22 +0100

Hello,

On 25 November 2013 18:07, Hiren Joshi <josh AT moonfruit DOT com> wrote:
I have a director on centos 5 running version 2.0.3-10.el5.
I have a number of fd on centos 5 running the same version.

I'd like to now back up a centos 6 machine but I can't get 2.X on it only version 5.

I'm assuming this isn't compatible, is there any way of making this work and getting a backup of this centos 6 machine?

for Fedora there is a "bacula2" compatibility package for running a Bacula 2.x client on Fedora systems connecting to RHEL/CentOS 5 servers; but it's pretty unmantained and uses systemd for running, so even if rebuilding for CentOS you would need some SysV init script, etc. The last Bacula 2.x release is from 2009.

Don't know if you can, but I would suggest you configure your systems the opposite way; i.e. upgrade your Bacula server installation to 5.x and upgrade clients everywhere. You can use the following repository.

There is no need to upgrade your RHEL/CentOS installation to run Bacula 5.x; as long the distribution is supported packages will be available in the repository.
The repository contain packages that are the same that is in all Fedora supported releases and are the basis for RHEL 7 bundled Bacula packages.

All the details are in the readme file.

Regards,
--Simone

--
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore (R. W. Emerson).

http://xkcd.com/229/
http://negativo17.org/