Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] SAN Backup

2013-10-14 17:36:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] SAN Backup
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: "Ana Emília M. Arruda" <emiliaarruda AT gmail DOT com>, "Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 23:33:47 +0200
Hello,

On 10/11/2013 06:09 PM, Ana Emília M. Arruda wrote:
Hi,

We have a SAN environment with disk arrays, tape library and hosts. To have a LAN-less backup using Bacula, do we need to buy the necessary plugins from Enterprise Systems?
If you want to have two separate storage daemons share the same
tape autochanger that are connected by a SAN, then the Bacula Enterprise
version would help you, because it has a SAN tape shared storage plugin.
Shared storage is not really the same thing as LAN-free backup.  Of course
Bacula can do LAN-free backups.

If you are using disk storage on the SAN, you don't really need the Enterprise
version.

If my director, clients and storages are all on the SAN, will Bacula use the LAN for some reason?
Bacula will use the SAN only for accessing disks or tape drives.  It is up to you to
properly configure the system so that Bacula runs LAN-free (at least for data
transfers between the SD and the disk/tape storage).

Kern

Thanks in advance,

Ana

October Webinars: Code for Performance