Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Writing more than capacity on LTO 4 tape

2013-09-27 07:35:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Writing more than capacity on LTO 4 tape
From: Konstantin Khomoutov <flatworm AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Deepak <deepak AT palincorporates DOT com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 15:32:23 +0400
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 16:30:20 +0530
Deepak <deepak AT palincorporates DOT com> wrote:

[...]
> how it is possible to write 850 GB of data on a tape with 800 GB
> capacity?

LTO provides for hardware compression which depends on the
compressibiliy of the data being written on the cartridge (as an
anecdote from my $dayjob where I'm putting .wav files to LTO-4
cartridges, a single cartridge usually records up to 1TB of data insead
of bare 800GB).

That's why it's usually advised to turn software comression off in
Bacula and rely on the compression done by LTO drive.