Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Off-site Backups

2013-09-25 22:02:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Off-site Backups
From: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "dweimer AT dweimer DOT net" <dweimer AT dweimer DOT net>, Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 01:58:38 +0000

> I am struggling to find a method of keeping consistent off-site without
> breaking easy restores.
>
> My planned schedule was as follows:
>
> First Sunday of Month: Full Backup to Disk
> Monday-Saturday: Incremental Backup to Disk
>       Friday (after the incremental):  Virtual Full Backup to Tape
> Subsequent Sundays in Month:  Differential Backup to Disk
>
> Keeping 3 months (or more depending on rate of change and how well
> compression works, which are currently unknowns) on disk for restores,
> and the Friday virtual full going off-Site in case of disaster.
>
> The problem I ran into (well not actually still in testing, and not
> production), is on the Second Friday of the month, the virtual full
> fails, because it can't find the previous virtual full to build the new
> one from.  How do I make it go back to the actual full instead of the
> previous Virtual Full?
>
> Will I be stuck creating a virtual full to another disk pool, then
> running a copy job for off-site backups, which unfortunately greatly
> reduces the history of on disk data I can keep for restores.
>
> Or is there some method I have yet to discover that will allow me to
> mark the tape volume unavailable so that it ignores that job on the
> subsequent virtual fulls.  I have tried playing with setting the enabled
> status to disabled, and updating the volstatus parameter, without
> getting anywhere.

My backup regime is:
. Full backups Friday and Saturday night (spread over two nights because too
much data to do in one night)
. Incrementals 3 times a day every other day
. Every Sunday-Thursday night a virtual full + catalog backup to USB disk for
offsite
. After the virtualfull, purge the offsite volume

The offsite disk will only ever be used in the case of a total loss of the
backup server, so a catalog restore will be required then anyway, so purging
the volume isn't a problem.

I originally modified Bacula so that it could exclude the virtual full medium,
but that was a bit of a hack.

My post-catalog backup script does the purging. I have one director doing
backups for two sites so there are actually two offsite usb disks (one for each
site).

I use autofs for mounting the usb disk automatically. It gets mounted on
/backup/offsite. The sd's are completely separate machines to the director too,
hence the need for the scp.

The script I use follows this email (some stuff redacted).

James

#!/bin/sh

/etc/bacula/scripts/delete_catalog_backup

/usr/bin/mysql --skip-column-names bacula -ubacula -p<password> <<EOF |
SELECT DISTINCT VolumeName
FROM Job
JOIN Pool
ON Job.PoolId = Pool.PoolId
JOIN JobMedia
ON Job.JobId = JobMedia.JobId
JOIN Media
ON JobMedia.MediaId = Media.MediaId
WHERE Pool.Name IN ('site1-offsite', 'site2-offsite');
EOF
while read media
do
  echo Purging $media
  echo "purge volume=$media" | /usr/bin/bconsole >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
done

# copy catalog bsr to usb too
scp /var/lib/bacula/BackupCatalog.bsr
site1-sd-server:/backup/offsite/BackupCatalog.bsr