Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Volume Status is Full instead of Purge

2013-09-24 04:39:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Volume Status is Full instead of Purge
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
To: Deepak <deepak AT palincorporates DOT com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 10:37:48 +0200
On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:53:15AM +0530, Deepak wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> While testing Recycling configuration for volumes. I am facing a issue.
>
> My volumes are in Full status even after expiration of Volume
> Retention period.
>
> I have used "Volume Retention = 3 hours" in pools
>
> "Job Retention = 4 months" and "File Retention = 4 months"  in client
> but 6 hours after last written my volume is still in Full status where
> as I think it should be in Purge state.
>
> my pool configuration is:
>

> Pool {
>          Name = BACKUP
>          Label Format = "Backup"
>          Pool Type = Backup
>          Recycle = yes           # Bacula can automatically recycle Volumes
>          AutoPrune = yes         # Prune expired volumes
>          Storage = Autochanger
>          Volume Retention = 3 hours
>          Cleaning Prefix = "CLN"
>          Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
> }
>
> my client configuration is:
>
> Client {
>    Name = backup-fd
>    Address = localhost
>    FDPort = 9102
>    Password = "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"          #
> password for FileDaemon
>    Catalog = DefaultCatalog
>    File Retention = 4 months
>    Job Retention = 4 months
>    AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired Jobs/Files
> }
>
> in bconsole list media command shows below output:
>
> *list media
> Pool: BACKUP
> +---------+------------+-----------+---------+-----------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+-----------+-----------+---------------------+
> | MediaId | VolumeName | VolStatus | Enabled | VolBytes        |
> VolFiles | VolRetention | Recycle | Slot | InChanger | MediaType |
> LastWritten         |
> +---------+------------+-----------+---------+-----------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+-----------+-----------+---------------------+
> |       2 | A00040L4   | Append    |       1 | 825,924,685,824 |
> 832 |       10,800 |       1 |    1 |         1 | LTO-4     |
> 2013-09-24 00:45:46 |
> |       3 | A00041L4   | Append    |       1 |          64,512 |
>   0 |       10,800 |       1 |    2 |         1 | LTO-4     |
> 0000-00-00 00:00:00 |
> |       4 | A00042L4   | Full      |       1 | 845,369,247,744 |
> 852 |       10,800 |       1 |    3 |         1 | LTO-4     |
> 2013-09-23 19:20:01 |
> +---------+------------+-----------+---------+-----------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+-----------+-----------+---------------------+
>
> As it can be seen that last written time on this volume is 19:20:01 it
> is mote than 6 hours.
>
>      Please tell me why it is in Full status . when it will be in purge state.
>      Will it be a problem for volume recycling
>

> Thanks in advance...!!!

Bacula will make every effort to preserve your data as long as
possible, so as long as you have still volumes with status "append" in
the pool, old volumes will not get recycled and / or purged, at least
this is my current understanding of how volume recycling works.

Once all volumes in your pool are full, bacula will start recycling
volumes and purge them appropriately, starting with the oldest volume
in the pool.

HTH Uwe

--
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA