Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] about separate pools for full/diff/incremental

2013-09-17 15:09:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] about separate pools for full/diff/incremental
From: Jeff MacDonald <jeff AT terida DOT com>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 16:06:41 -0300
On 2013-09-17, at 3:53 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net> wrote:

> On 09/17/13 13:57, Jeff MacDonald wrote:
>> I was reading one of Dan Langilles blogs where he mentions he has a separate
>> pool for full/incremental/differential backup jobs.
>>
>> I was wondering the though behind this and why? Does it only apply to when
>> using tapes or are there strategic benefits to doing it even when using
>> files for backup volumes?
>
> It makes it trivially simple to have different media retention times for
> different types of jobs in order to keep the quantity of backup media
> under control.
>
> Personally, I have a Full pool on tape, run monthly with twelve months
> retention; a Differential pool on disk, run weekly with three months'
> retention; and an Incremental pool  ondisk, run daily with one month
> retention; and it's easy to automatically expire and delete opr recycle
> (as appropriate) each volume as it gets past its sell-by date.

Cool. So right now in my case i just have one big pool. Which means when i get
in a pinch and have to purge the oldest volumes by hand, there is a chance i'm
getting rid of portions of full diff and incrementals. where as if i had 3
pools i could be much more specific about what i was getting rid of.