Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Maximum Concurrent Jobs for Devices

2013-07-22 09:55:38
Subject: [Bacula-users] Maximum Concurrent Jobs for Devices
From: Mingus Dew <shon.stephens AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 09:52:15 -0400
Dear All,
     I'm trying to understand how to properly use this directive and if its possible to configure Bacula the way I think I can using this directive. I'm using Version: 5.2.13 (19 February 2013) i386-pc-solaris2.10 solaris 5.10

"Maximum Concurrent Jobs is a new Device directive in the Storage Daemon configuration permits setting the maximum number of Jobs that can run concurrently on a specified Device. Using this directive, it is possible to have different Jobs using multiple drives, because when the Maximum Concurrent Jobs limit is reached, the Storage Daemon will start new Jobs on any other available compatible drive. This facilitates writing to multiple drives with multiple Jobs that all use the same Pool."

I think this means that if you have Device A and its running 5 jobs from Pool A, and you've set the Max Concurrent Jobs = 5 for Device A, then the next job from Pool A should use Device A1.

Where this all breaks down for me is how to configure Device, Storage, Pool, Job (what directives to put where so that Bacula automatically switches devices but keeps the right initial storage and stays in the right pool and right devices.

The way I envision using this is currently I have a Full Device and an Incremental Device for disk backups. I use MaxJobs=1 so that each Job is its own Volume. As we know, only 1 volume can be mounted at a time. This limits me to running 1 job in a Pool at a time in my current configuration. Im hoping I can add multiple Devices and Bacula will start being able to run more Jobs in each Pool.

Any help understanding if this will work and how to configure it, or just a push in the right direction to understand this directive is very appreciated.

Thankfully Yours,
Shon