Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] HEADS UP: FreeBSD changes...

2013-07-19 15:54:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] HEADS UP: FreeBSD changes...
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 21:49:21 +0200
On 07/19/2013 09:35 PM, Dan Langille wrote:
> On Jul 19, 2013, at 3:33 PM, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>
>> You really should be putting everything into /opt/bacula.  It is
>> *much* more backup friendly for disaster recovery situations.
> Individual sysadmins can do that. But it goes against expected locations in
> FreeBSD (indeed, several other OS):
>
>    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=hier&sektion=7
>
> Sure, from a disaster recovery, you want static binaries.  Everyone has an
> emergency USB key with that on it.
>
> Right?
Certainly not.  It isn't needed.  As for the "expected locations", I
understand, but unfortunately
the people who invented them didn't understand backup, or maybe they did
by permitting
/opt/xxx and /srv/yyy, but other people don't seem to realize the
problems they create
by forbidding the use of /opt/bacula.

No need to respond. I never imagined any packager would listen to me, so
that is OK, but
for those of you who build yourself, please consider using /opt/bacula,
but be sure to
exclude /opt/bacula/working.  It is best to backup /opt/bacula at the
same time you
do your catalog backup, then email the bsr to a different machine. With
that disaster
recovery is much easier.

Kern