Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] MariaDB or Oracle's MySQL.

2013-07-08 13:52:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] MariaDB or Oracle's MySQL.
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 13:48:50 -0400
On 07/08/13 12:15, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> I have been using Oracle's mysql several years and one of the worst
> problem with it has been restore times, especially the time it takes to
> generate the file selection tree. When fedora 19 became available and
> with the information that they supported MariaDB I decided to give it a
> try. And much to my surprise I found that the time to file selection was
> improved considerably. It used to be measured in hours  with MariaDB it
> is down to few seconds. A pleasant surprise.

I would be interested to see a comparison of the configuration and
versions for both DB installations.  I find it implausible that a switch
from community-edition MySQL to a comparable-version MariaDB, *with no
other changes*, could yield a three-orders-of-magnitude performance gain
for the same query.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.