Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bare metal restore

2013-05-09 12:01:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bare metal restore
From: Jonathan Horne <jhorne AT skopos DOT us>
To: Jonathan Bayer <jbayer AT bayertechnologygroup DOT com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 15:57:55 +0000

This is the way I have performed baremetal recoverys lately of a VM:

1)      Take the anaconda.ks script from the subject system and use it as the basis to install a fresh system on a newly created.  I use the anaconda.ks from the subject system so that things like file system sizes, volumegroup names, and packages will be identical to the system were about to restore.  (actually, a minimal install would probably be fine, as long as file system sizes and volumegroup names were identical)

2)      After the fresh install on a new VM, reboot the new VM to rescue mode.  Chroot into the file systems of the newly installed fresh VM.

3)      Install bacula client, set the password.

4)      You will probably need to create a client config representing the temporary system and its IP that it probably got from DHCP (I did).

5)      “restore all” from your bacula console, select the subject system and the new temporary target system as the restore client.  I omit these files:

a.       /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*

b.      /etc/fstab

c.       /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

d.      /boot/grub/system.map

6)      I have always had to finish this process with a grub-install to the boot device.

I imagine my method might be more cumbersome and time consuming than some others, but it has worked for me 100% of the times I have done this.