Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and Glacier

2013-05-05 15:57:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and Glacier
From: "K. M. Peterson" <kmp.lists+bacula-users AT gmail DOT com>
To: Ken Mandelberg <km AT mathcs.emory DOT edu>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 15:53:08 -0400
I am, but not in a way that makes much difference to you.

I have a script that moves backup disk volumes in a particular directory that are older than a certain number of days to Glacier; the volumes in that directory get populated by migration jobs from the primary pool.

I'm skeptical about doing too much more for a couple of reasons. First, because I've found that I'm more comfortable dealing with Bacula's functionality from arm's length. I haven't had much luck, personally, with things like vchanger.  I'm a bit wary about trying to automate in a fashion that is too tied up in how things are currently implemented.

Second, I looked at my own use cases for recovery scenarios, and felt that locally-cached backup sets were a better fit for me, given the constraints of bandwidth and costs. I did some calculations on the cost of recovering significant data from Glacier, and depending on your time-to-restore requirements it can be _really_ expensive.  I'm in the process of adding code to my scripts to lengthen the recovery request submissions, but if there is a need for many GB of data from Glacier _now_ it might cost several hundred dollars.

I really think of Glacier as "cold" storage - secondary, in my case to locally stored volumes. It's great for that, but again, you really want to work out the costs before committing to using it with any expectations for actual restore processing.

N. B.  one thing I have not looked at is using one of the available S3 mountable filesystem implementations as primary storage and setting up a process to move data from S3 to Glacier using the AWS life cycle tools,  if I were starting from scratch today, I'd look there first.

Hope this helps, feel free to reply directly to me if there is anything I can amplify.

_KMP