Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Postgres vs SQLite

2013-05-01 13:52:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Postgres vs SQLite
From: C M Reinehr <cmr AT amsent DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 12:28:05 -0500
On Wed 01 May 2013 10:40:51 am Tim Gustafson wrote:
> > If you are backing up one machine with a small number of files then
> > sqlite might be okay, but otherwise you'll probably find it will be a
> > performance bottleneck for anything bigger.
> >
> > I recommend you go with postgresql (or mysql).
>
> I've used MySQL in the past, and Bacula is just apparently not
> optimized for it (or vice-versa, I'm not sure which).  We run a fairly
> beefy MySQL server and we have hundreds of apps and web sites that all
> use that server and all of them work extremely well but when we used
> it for Bacula, the query that it used to build a list of files to
> restore took *ages* - in some cases more than 24 hours, and in some
> cases it never finished at all - for our data set.  When we switched
> to Postgres, that query went down to a few minutes.  Our backup load
> has changed significantly since then - we now use ZFS snapshots for
> our multi-terabyte, multi-million-inode file systems and use Bacula
> for our smaller VMs, none of which have more than a few tens of
> thousands of files each.  So maybe it's time to revisit using MySQL.
>
> I just really hate maintaining a whole database server for one
> application, especially one as unwieldy as Postgres.  Postgres
> requires a fair amount of memory, and has some compatibility issues
> with FreeBSD Jails (it requires you enable sysvipc for all jails,
> which is something of a security concern).  It's also "one more thing"
> that I have to monitor.

Tim,

I run a small shop with a dozen systems (pc's & servers) and have been using
SQLite for years with no performance problems. Like you, I have no other use
for an industrial strength database server running constantly. FWIW, my
backups all run around 2:00am when no one is working, so even if it is a
little slower, the processing is complete before anyone arrives for work. My
restores, also, likely would be faster with a faster database, but those are
so infrequent as not to be a concern.

Sincerely,

cmr
--
Debian "Squeeze" Registered Linux User #241964
----