Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula exchange 2013 plugin

2013-04-30 00:26:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula exchange 2013 plugin
From: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: Carlo Filippetto <carlo.filippetto AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 04:22:20 +0000
> Hi all,
>
> there's noone that have used bacula with exchange 2013?
>
> I would like to know if I can use bacula plugins or I have to use script to
> backup it.

I wrote the original Exchange plugin for Exchange 2003. It uses the 'streaming
backup' interface of Exchange that is claimed not to exist beyond 2007, where
you are supposed to use VSS.

But it is actually possible to turn on streaming backups in Exchange 2010 by
adding a registry key. If you go to
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\services\MSExchangeIS\ParametersSystem\ and then
create a DWORD value called "Enable Local Streaming Backup" and set it to 1,
then restart Exchange, the Bacula plugin will complete. Restore appears to be
limited to only in-place restore, you can't redirect it to another place or
anything useful like that. But you do get logfile truncation etc.

If you have a system to test on, I'd be very interested to hear if it still
works under Exchange 2013. I suspect it won't, but I was very surprised to find
that it worked under 2010.

James