Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Trying unsuccesfully to implement Vchanger for encrypted off site backups.

2013-04-08 12:06:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Trying unsuccesfully to implement Vchanger for encrypted off site backups.
From: Mike Lindsay <mlindsay AT kirkmangroup DOT com>
To: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 09:03:28 -0700
Hi Josh!

It was actually the drive that didn't have permissions.  mtnbkr helped me out in IRC before he left for the weekend!

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 4:46 AM, Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com> wrote:
On 4/5/2013 3:24 PM, Mike Lindsay wrote:
> So using the vchanger documentation and following this guide;
>
> http://www.revpol.com/node/140?page=show
>
> I've been trying to setup vchanger for encrypted off site backups to
> USB drives.
>
> I've got the drives randomly encrypted
> I get the drives automounted using autofs.
> I can vchanger list on the drives and see many tapes with barcodes.
> I can vchanger -u bacula -g disk /etc/bacula/include/vchanger.conf
> listmags and see the mounted magazine.
>
> If I try to run this from the vchanger documentation (modified to
> match my names/paths);
> vchanger -u bacula -g bacula /etc/bacula/include/vchanger.conf load 1
> /var/lib/bacula/vchanger/c0 0
> I produce this error;
> failed to convert slot 1 to valid volume file name
>
> The only thing I can think of, when I first ran;
> vchanger -u bacula -g bacula /etc/bacula/include/vchanger.conf initmag 1
> I didn't have my permissions setup correctly on
> /mnt/offsite-backups/UUID#.  This caused me to have tapes with no
> labels.  I corrected the permissions, deleted the contents of the
> following 2 directories;
> /var/lib/bacula/vchanger/c0
> /mnt/offsite-backups/UUID#
> and then I reran my initmag.  Now my tapes have labels. But I get the
> above mentioned error.
>
> Any ideas?

When fixing the permissions issue, did you check that user bacula:bacula
has write permission to the vchanger work directory
(/var/lib/bacula/vchanger) and all files in it?

Thanks!

Mike Lindsay
Kirkman Group, Inc.
(503)783-2745

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail transmission may contain confidential and privileged information or information proprietary to the sender or exempt from disclosure under state or federal law, including HIPAA.  Unless you are the named recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message.  If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete this message.  Nothing in this message should be interpreted as a digital or electronic signature that can be used to authenticate a contract or other legal document.  Thank you