Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup strategy with Bacula

2013-03-26 23:48:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup strategy with Bacula
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 23:44:56 -0400
On 03/26/13 22:33, Wood Peter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm planning to use Bacula to do file level backup of about 15 Linux
> systems. Total backup size is about 2TB.
>
> For Bacula server I'm thinking to buy Dell PE R520 with 24TB internal
> storage (8x 3TB disks) and use virtual tapes.

Hi Peter.   First, you're going to want some RAID level on that server and
RAID0 is not (IMHO) RAID at all.  :)

At a minimum you're going to want to set up (for example) RAID5 in the server
which will give you a maximum of 7 x 3 = 21 TB since the equivalent of 1 full
drive is used for parity, spread across all of the drives in a RAID5 array.

Having said that, RAID5 does not have the best write speeds, but other RAID
levels that will give more redundancy and better write speeds will use
significantly more drives and give you less total storage. You may need to
spend some time to consider your redundancy and read/write throughput
requirements.

Also, you will generally want to configure at least one drive as a hot spare
so the RAID controller can automatically and immediately fail over to it in
the case of a drive failure in the array.

So that takes away at least 3 more TB, so now your down to 18TB total storage
with a minimally configured RAID5 array with 1 hot spare.

Just some things to consider. :)

> - I'm backing up mostly text configuration files.
>   How many full backups can I expect to fit in this amount of storage?

Completely depends on how compressible the data is, or if you care to use
compression at all. Consider that compression takes place on the client, so
that can add significantly to the clients' load on a busy client.

> For offsite backup I was thinking to use external tape drive and
> replicate the full backup to tape. Once a month I'll go to the colo
> where the server is, get the tape and bring it to the office.

Bacula can do "Copy Jobs"  so, for example, you run your backups to your file
volumes om your array, then the copy jobs run and copy the data to tapes that
you can remove and take off-site.

Once a month for off-sites is a bit long of a duration for one thing, and
you'd need to consider the amount of data and be sure your off-site tape(s)
had enough capacity. Don't want to be running to your colo at strange, random
times of the night or weekend to make sure the backup jobs run on schedule. :)

> - But, we have 100Mbps from the office to the colo.
>   Is there a way to copy the full backup to the office over the
> network and completely avoid tapes?

Yes.  You can set up your Bacula server at your office, and configure your
co-located servers to write to the Bacula server over VPN, or stunnel (poor
man's VPN, but works quite well)

> If that's not possible can I attach external storage to the server
> with hot swappable hard drives and use them as tape replacement?

Yes. See http://www.revpol.com/node/140 for just such an example using eSATA
drives in an external drive caddy.

> It's been a while since I last used Bacula so your help is appreciated.

Hope this helps. :)

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC