Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Windows client backup: VSS and/or ntbackup?

2013-03-21 11:17:20
Subject: [Bacula-users] Windows client backup: VSS and/or ntbackup?
From: Christoph Litauer <litauer AT uni-koblenz DOT de>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 16:14:27 +0100
Dear bacula users,

we use bacula for some years now, excellent tool! But there is one open
question I was not able to answer 'til today:

Doing windows (XP)-client backups I need the possibility to do a disaster
recovery. My solution (tested successfully) is
1.) Do "ntbackup backup systemstate /F c:\systemstate.bkf" using
ClientRunBeforeJob
2.) Do a bacula backup using VSS including c:\systemstate.bkf

Disaster recovery then is
1.) Install a minimal windows client
2.) restore c: using bacula (includes systemstate.bkf)
3.) restore systemstate using ntbackup on the client
4.) reboot

This works but has two ceveats: ntbackup runs several minutes even on an unused
system and the resulting backup is severeal gb every day.

So I wonder if VSS won't fit my needs _without_ doing a ntbackup systemstate
with clientRunBeforeJob? Will a VSS backup of partition C: save all system
relevant information (registry etc.) for disaster recovery?

--
Kind regards
Christoph