Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Requested feature: use UDT for bulk data transfer

2013-03-20 11:09:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Requested feature: use UDT for bulk data transfer
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 10:48:49 -0400
On 3/18/2013 6:31 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Like others, I have been having problems with random backup failures due
> to network IO errors.  See this thread for another example:
>
> http://bacula.10910.n7.nabble.com/Win32-FD-Write-error-sending-N-bytes-to-Storage-daemon-td35109.html
>
> I understand that this is not a bug in Bacula: its going to be a problem
> somewhere in the stack on either the client or the storage machine. As
> someone notes in the thread above, because Bacula transports hundreds of
> gigabytes over a single TCP channel, something that happens only once
> every hundred GB has a high probability of breaking a backup while being
> completely unnoticeable anywhere else. Maybe its a dodgy network card,
> maybe something in the TCP/IP stack on Windows XP. But that doesn't help
> solve the problem; I can't afford to swap components until I perturb
> this out of existence (I've tried the usual remedies). Therefore I'd
> like to suggest that Bacula support a transport mechanism other than TCP.
>
> UDT (http://udt.sourceforge.net/) looks ideal. Its got a mature
> implementation for Linux, Windows, OS X and BSD. The API is close to a
> drop-in replacement for TCP, so not a lot of new code, and it could be
> made an option with TCP remaining the default. UDT is designed for high
> volume data transfer, and is probably more efficient than TCP over a
> LAN, which is the typical use-case for Bacula.
>
> A Google search for "Bacula UDT" turned up nothing, which is surprising.
> Am I really the first person to suggest this?

I believe I have seen suggestions for using UDP before, and Dr. Gu's UDT
library would be the logical choice. However, I'm not entirely convinced
it would be a drop-in replacement within the Bacula client-server
framework. Still, you should submit a feature request, (See
http://www.bacula.org/en/?page=feature-request), to get the dev's feedback.