Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] tapes randomly become unrecognizeable

2013-03-12 11:15:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] tapes randomly become unrecognizeable
From: Simon Tyler <simon AT tpmcomm DOT com>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 11:12:21 -0400
All I can tell you is what happens when I don't use pre-printed labels.

Change tapes
update slots, label barcodes
a random tape is not recognized
do no tape change, take out magazine, reinsert tape in magazine
update slots
tape recognized

This only happened with home made labels. Maybe I should run another month to make sure, but this is what I see.

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:55 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Hi John, I just checked with the guy who started printing labels and he said
> he started doing that in 2009. We didn't really notice issues until we
> switched to Bacula (from Netvault), so they were working fine for at least 3
> years. I wonder if it's possible that Bacula drives the bar code reader more
> aggressively, requiring higher quality labels? All I can say is that the
> tapes that I marked as "bad" seem to work fine with HP labels, without them
> I encountered intermittent and random problems. Many times the reader could
> see the label, I would change some tapes and re-insert the magazine and
> suddenly the reader couldn't see the label. I would take the magazine out,
> reseat the tape, and the bar code could see the label. It was very
> frustrating to troubleshoot, until I bought pre-printed labels.

I would doubt that. The barcode reader should only be used when you
add or remove tapes or at least that is what my barcode reader does.
After you change tapes the library scans the added tapes (or the whole
magazine) and remembers this and does not scan again unless you power
cycle the unit or change tapes or magazines again.

John