Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] update slots scan question

2013-02-08 09:43:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] update slots scan question
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2013 09:40:28 -0500
On 2013-02-08 05:17, Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm about to use the "update slots scan" bconsole command for the
> first time as I'm fed up with doing all the manual work changing a
> set
> of tapes involves.

I take it that your tape library does not read barcodes?  Or that you
are not
using barcodes.  Which is it?

> In a perfect (bacula) world, this command would achieve the
> following:
>

> - load all tapes in the changer one after the other

Yes

I'm reading:
http://www.bacula.org/manuals/en/concepts/concepts/Autochanger_Resource.html

At that URL, see 'Simulating Barcodes in your Autochanger', in case
that helps your particular situation.

> - if a slot is empty but expected to be full according to the Media
> table, the volume would be set to state "archive" an its inChanger
> flag to zero

No, not quite. inChanger is either 0 or 1 to indicate if it's in the
changer.

> - if the slot is full, but an empty tape is detected, the tape would
> be auto-labelled, with the expected (but no longer present) tape in
> that slot being set to archive / inchanger = 0

No, I am not sure that auto-labeling occurs.  That is a different
process.  That's 'label barcodes'

Now I'm reading [old docs]:
http://www.bacula.org/2.4.x-manuals/en/main/Bacula_Console.html

> - if the slot is full and the volume has a label that has a Media
> record but is set to "archive", bacula would set the volume status to
> "full" or "recycle" and inchanger to "1", updating the slot record.

I'm not sure how 'archive' enters the situation.  The volume status
will definitely not be altered.  But the inChanger field will be updated
to 1.

> - If the volume has a bacula label that bacula does not know of, an
> additional parameter would allow me to relabel / null the tape and
> add
> the new volume to the pool.

There is no such additional parameter.

> So, am I dreaming or would the update slots scan command work in a
> similar fashion?

Dreaming slightly.   ;)

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/