Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Volumes in Error

2013-01-30 14:02:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Volumes in Error
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 18:59:30 GMT

> Hi,
> It's been a few weeks (2-3) that I have more and more volumes marked in
> error. I haven't had this problem before.
> I'm doing backups on disk on a remote machine. So all my volumes are
> files really. I've checked the disks, of course (e2fsck), which are fine.
>
> The volumes go into error mode after this message : /The sizes do not
> match! Volume=229213150 Catalog=107132479/
>
> My question is : how can I repair these volumes, possibly without
> loosing data? I know I can change the Volume status, but next time it is
> used, it goes back to Error.
>
> So what's the correct way to repair the database ? I've run dbcheck
> already, and mysql tools. The DB seems OK otherwise.

Before fixing them, I suggest you find out what caused the mismatch.  Look in
the bacula log to see what happened when the volumes were used (e.g. maybe a
job failed due to network errors).

The safest and simplest way to repair them is to use the purge command, but
that will lose data (it deletes any jobs on them).

You could also adjust the media.volbytes field to match the file size using
sql commands, but you need to do that carefully to avoid wrecking the catalog.

__Martin