Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tutorial idea: supply everyone with a bacula-dir & bacula-sd

2013-01-29 16:27:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tutorial idea: supply everyone with a bacula-dir & bacula-sd
From: Adrian Reyer <bacula-lists AT lihas DOT de>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:24:09 +0100
Hi Dan,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:23:17AM -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
> Bring a computer pre-installed with N running instances of bacula-dir
> and bacula-sd, each with their own Catalog.
> This server would run one instance of PostgreSQL, containing one
> Catalog for each Attendee.
> Each Attendee's home directory would contain bacula-dir.conf and
> bacula-sd.conf.
> Each will need sudo so they can stop and start THEIR instance of the
> daemons.
> Each instance will need to listen on a different set of ports.

All my bacula installations bacula-dir and bacula-sd reside in
individual Linux-VServers (http://linux-vserver.org/), basically because
I use them everywhere anyway. They have own IP-Adresses and are
accessible via them. A user can have root inside to do all things I'd
imagine to be needed for a bacula-tutorial, but they can't change IPs or
add iptable rules.
From the host view, it is just directories containing the vservers, you
can e.g. use tar and stash them away and extract again later for the
next attempt. In the special case of linux-vserver there is another
thing called 'unification', the binaries can be hardlinked between the
different VServers with added copy-on-write link breaking. That way you
safe space on disk (not important), but as they are the same inode in
all VServers, Linux shared memory management will just load the static
stuff once for all VServers and this safes quite a bit of ram if you
have many instances.
Similar things with linux are done by openvz or lxc, on Solaris and
various BSD-variants it is very likely called jail or container.

Regards,
        Adrian
--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91