Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Set more then 3 pools in a backup job

2013-01-28 15:34:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Set more then 3 pools in a backup job
From: Adrian Reyer <bacula-lists AT lihas DOT de>
To: stefano scotti <scottistefano91 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 21:31:15 +0100
On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 04:21:24PM +0100, stefano scotti wrote:
> There are 4 different rotation rules and schedules... not three.
> How am i supposed to solve this?
> With my own scripts, i would define 4 pools, and a job type for each pool:
>   Level 0 Pool      Type:Full
>   Level 1 Pool      Type:Differential
>   Level 2 Pool      Type:Incremental
>   Level 3 Pool      Type:Incremental

Be careful here what is based on what.
Differential has all changes since last Full
Incremental has all changes since the last run of any of
Full/Differential/Incremental.
If you run
1234567123456712345671234567
FIIIIIIDIIIIIIDIIIIIIDIIIIII and delete the first 2 differential, your
1st 6 Is and last 6 Is would be usable, the 2nd and 3rd 6 Is are useless
as they have no base to work on.
Now if you enhance this for your 3-hourly Incrementals (i) a week looks
like this
DiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiIiiiiiii you imagine,
but it won't work like this, if you delete any of the i, you won't be
able to completly rstore to any following I or i point in time. It in
fact actually
DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
I think there is no easy way out if this is about used backup space. One
way is to replace the I with D and then actually have the i as I.
Depending on the changed amount of data, you might convert the weeks D
into F.
You can try 2 different jobs instead, but you still will have more Full
backups than you like, you just need to keep the latest F, D and all I
since the last D for the second set.
Set1: FIIIIIIDIIIIIIDIIII_______I_______
Set2: FxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxDIIIIIIIDIIIIIII

Set1 '_' is just spaced out as here we need more fields for the time
where the 3-hourly are run. The 'x' are positions that are already
deleted in the second set.
You can alter the Pool of a job with the run directive. Check
http://www.bacula.org/5.2.x-manuals/en/main/main/Configuring_Director.html#SECTION001450000000000000000

> In my opinion it is wrong to bind the concept of job type and the concept
> of pool, they are 2 different things.
> I use a pool to define a group of  volumes and their rotation rules, i
> specify a job type to define if those volumes will contain an
> incremental,differential or full backup.

I think it can be used like that.

Regards,
        Adrian
--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91