Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Spreading full backup load on 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd strategy

2013-01-26 16:38:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Spreading full backup load on 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd strategy
From: Adrian Reyer <bacula-lists AT lihas DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 22:34:07 +0100
Hi,

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 04:50:24AM -0800, g18c wrote:
> I am using Bacula to connect to servers remotely (in a different DC) and
> backup.
> Due to speed constraints and no bogging the office network down during the
> day, I dont see it is feasible to perform a full backup of our 4 servers at
> the same time, so instead we can split out the full backups so each week one
> server has a full backup, in rotation.

Have you ever considered VirtualFull Backups? Should reduce your remote
locations network load a lot.

> Retention
> Given any particular date, we want to keep a full backup, plus the last full
> backup before that. All incremental from now to the most recent full backup
> should be kept.

Unfortunately bacula has no way to keep backup runs active based on
successful full runs. You can specify retention times only by fixed time
intervals with standard configurations. You could do that using sql to
select the jobs that are not needed anymore manually and delete them.
However, personally I am much in favour of just deciding upon a
retention time and keeping all Full/Differential/Incremental backups the
same retention time.

> Full and Incremental in seperate pools
> I have two storage pools, one for incremental and one for full, how can I
> tell Bacula to use pool-full if a incremental snapshot cannot find a previous
> full, and how do I put full on storage1 and incremental on storage2 (which is
> the same storage daemon, but different drives)?

Assign the drives to the pools, use different media types.

Regards,
        Adrian
--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91