Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] volume retention: how does it work?

2013-01-24 15:51:34
Subject: [Bacula-users] volume retention: how does it work?
From: Simon Tyler <simon AT tpmcomm DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 15:23:03 -0500
Hello list,

I originally had a very long Volume Retention in my Pool definition, I think it was set to a year. I wanted to make it much smaller, like a month. I updated the Pool Definition and set it to 30 days, and then in bconsole I ran update "pool from resource". This command completed successfully, however it shows VolRetention having a value of 2,592,000, which made me scratch my head. Then I ran update "All volumes from pool", and this command completed successfully, returning "All Volume defaults updated from "Default" Pool record."

Now when I do: list volume

It shows the list of tapes, with VolRetention set to 2,592,000.

When I do: show pools

It shows VolRetention = 1 month

So I scratched my head for awhile more and eventually guessed that there are 2,592,000 seconds in 30 days.

Now, when I do a: status slots

It still shows most of the tapes as Full, even though they haven't been used in 30 days. How do I know which tapes are available for use? I thought the status would change to Append or something. Will it just automagically start selecting the oldest tapes available?

Thanks,

Simon Tyler  |  Systems Administrator
TPM Communications
|  416-408-2727  x286