Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] where to start?

2013-01-23 11:26:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] where to start?
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
To: Alan McKay <alan.mckay+bacula AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 17:22:42 +0100
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 11:04:34AM -0500, Alan McKay wrote:

> This is all a little overwhelming.  Is there a better tutorial
> somewhere to get me off the ground?

Hi Alan,

check the mail archive, I think Ken pointed out a recently published
ebook about bacula. While I haven't read it myself yet, I think it
would get you going quite quickly.

What devices are you having issues with? Here's my tape /changer
definition from one of our servers:

Autochanger {
  Name = Autochanger
  Device = lto4
  Changer Command = "/server/bacula/etc/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
  Changer Device = /dev/changer
}

Device {
  Maximum Changer Wait = 1800
  Name = lto4
  Media Type = LTO-4
  Archive Device = /dev/nst0
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  AlwaysOpen = yes;
  RemovableMedia = yes;
  RandomAccess = no;
  Maximum File Size = 5GB
  Changer Command = "/server/bacula/etc/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
  Changer Device = /dev/changer
 AutoChanger = yes
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 3
}

You can then use this definition in your Storage definition:

Storage {
  Name = lto4
  Address = your.server.com
  SDPort = 9103
  Password ="yourpassword"
  Device = lto4
  Media Type = LTO-4
  Autochanger = yes                   # enable for autochanger device
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 3
}

and create a tape pool like so:

Pool {
  Name = Default
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically
  recycle Volumes
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 365 days         # one year
  Purge Oldest Volume = yes
  Maximum Volumes = 24
  JobRetention = 90 days
  FileRetention = 60 days
}

and then use the storage / pool statements in the schedule or jobdefs
to make use of them:

JobDefs {
  Name = "DefaultJob"
  Type = Backup
  Level = Incremental
  Schedule = "WeeklyCycle"
  Storage = lto4
   Allow Duplicate Jobs = No
  Pool = Default
  Messages = Standard
  Priority = 10
  Write Bootstrap = "/server/bacula/var/bacula/working/%c.bsr"
}

this should get you started backing up to tapes. Use the "label"
command in bconsole to label a tape (make sure it's new or has been mt
weof'ed first if it had a previous label on it).

HTH, Uwe

--
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA