Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Is my tape jukebox borked?

2013-01-22 14:34:03
Subject: [Bacula-users] Is my tape jukebox borked?
From: Alan McKay <alan.mckay+bacula AT gmail DOT com>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 14:30:40 -0500
Hi folks,

I started out with bacula 3 or 4 months ago but as it turned out the
card I was using did not properly recognize the tape changer.  The
whole thing got sidetracked for a while but now I'm back with a new
card which seems to see everything fine.   It is a Sun SL24 jukebox.
I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 with bacula out of the apt-get packages.

I stopped using the jukebox a few months ago with the software Sun had
sold us for it, because I suspected some issues with either the
software or the hardware.  Now I fear it is hardware.

Was trying some basic mtx-changer tests and btape and getting some
results that looked odd, so I looked into the mtx-changer script and
found this command - with results as shown :

root@nashead01:/etc/bacula# mtx -f /dev/sg0 status
mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)
mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Illegal Request
mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 24
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 00
mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no
mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no
Mode sense (0x1A) for Page 0x1D failed
mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)
mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Illegal Request
mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 20
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 00
mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no
mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no
READ ELEMENT STATUS Command Failed

I have a feeling there is tape jammed in there somewhere but am not sure.

What's my next step to debug this?

thanks,
-Alan