Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] save DB's online

2013-01-17 08:36:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] save DB's online
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 14:33:31 +0100
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 08:20:48AM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> One last footnote:  *SOLELY* setting MySQL read-only does NOT guarantee
> a consistent backup.  You must FLUSH TABLES, and even then you're still
> not 100% safe on InnoDB.

Agreed, I forgot that important step in my previous email. Our method
right now involves flushing the tables, setting the read lock,
rsyncing the data files to a separate directory, then enabling write
access to the db while tarring / lzop'ing the new directory in the
background.

Naturally we only do this when there are no backup jobs running which
is easy to determine using a "stat dir" echo'ed to bconsole before the
database backup starts.

Could we expect to see better db performance by moving to innodb or
one of MariaDB's fancy new backends? I'm especially interested in
improving volume recycle times which can be quite long with our setup
(200GB file table). the DELETE from File where JobId in (.....) can
take a few hours sometimes.

Cheers, Uwe

--
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA