Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Client side FS detection

2013-01-16 11:17:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Client side FS detection
From: Thomas Lohman <thomasl AT mtl.mit DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 10:59:30 -0500
> One idea I can think of is using a list of filesystem types that matter.
> That way you can handle most things and also exclude cluster
> filesystems like ocfs2 that should best be backed up with a different
> job and separate fd.

This is what we do for our UNIX systems.  We actually define each file
system as it's own job and have things set up so if a mismatch between
what is found on a client and what is being backed up occurs, it is
reported and can be fixed.  You're right in that a problem with this
approach is if your clients may be attaching storage that uses
unexpected file system types.  For us, that isn't really a problem since
the policy is that we back up what is "fixed" on the computer and each
computer is set up by us as well.

hope this helps,

--tom