Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] base backups increase backup duration for full backups consi

2012-12-07 20:14:03
Subject: [Bacula-users] base backups increase backup duration for full backups consi
From: ccspro <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 13:48:56 -0800
What is the actual issue here?, I may have missed the actual topic of
discussion...

Base jobs are there to help reduce the overall file and network bandwidth when
you do a full backup, the time wasted is mostly on verifications and database
table content linking.

On the server end it has to do some muxing with the basefile table in order to
link them with the full - the one gotcha is that the temp table will end up
dumping to disk (if using mysql) due to the ORDER BY and this can slow DB
performance due to the multitude of files you have and how many full's you want
to do.

Example of one of the read/writes performed:
Copying to tmp table | INSERT INTO BaseFiles (BaseJobId, JobId, FileId,
FileIndex) SELECT B.JobId AS BaseJobId, 140 AS JobId, B.FileId, B.FileIndex
FROM basefile140 AS A, new_basefile140 AS B WHERE A.Path = B.Path AND A.Name =
B.Name ORDER BY B.FileId |

So in my case I've instructed each dept that Bacula is for specific data only,
we now setup our servers in a certain way (install base OS, install certain
programs/services the same way to make sure all deps are there, etc) and use
Bacula to overwrite the configs/binaries/etc to make it the way it was.

Also large data like DB dumps are handled in their own separate job config if
they are on the same server to keep things cleaner/easier to manage, especially
since i can give them their own expiration, oh the difficulties of mixing
different types of data with different company wide SLA"s :P