Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] FreeBSD: HEADS UP - port changes

2012-10-27 15:07:38
Subject: [Bacula-users] FreeBSD: HEADS UP - port changes
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 15:04:26 -0400
We are going to be making some major changes to the FreeBSD port of Bacula.
Before we do this, I'm looking for volunteers to test out the changes.

This is a short list of the changes we plan to make:

- bacula-server will require bacula-client.  you cannot install bacula-server
without bacula-client
- bacula-client and bacula-server will no longer install docs
- all docs are installed only by bacula-docs
- new port added: bacula-client-static (statically linked; so good for rescue
CDs etc)

Why is bacula-client now required by bacula-server?  A long standing problem
between the two
ports was they each installed the same shared libraries.  We solved this
situation by making only bacula-client
install the shared libraries.  This is why bacula-server requires bacula-client.

This change to the shared libraries will avoid the continually reported
problems when upgrading
Bacula on FreeBSD and not first deleting both bacula-client and bacula-server.

Watch this thread, and I will post a URL from which you can download the
upgraded ports
and test them.  We'll give you about a week to report any problems.

Also, this is the place to discuss any issues with the above strategies.  :)

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org