Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup only $( find /var/log -type d )

2012-10-24 04:49:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup only $( find /var/log -type d )
From: Geert Stappers <Geert.Stappers AT vanadgroup DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:46:36 +0200
Op 20121017 om 10:16 schreef lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de:
> Zitat von Geert Stappers <Geert.Stappers AT vanadgroup DOT com>:
>
> > Hello Bacula Users,
> >
> > Where I don't want to backup logfiles,
> > I do want to restore empty log directory trees.
> >
> > How to define a FileSet that matches
> >   find /var/log -type d
> >

> You might try a wildfile directive which matches *all* files for
> exclusion. As it should only be applied to files the directories
> should not be affected.

I couldn't write that into a file set definition.
My efforts would bring me all the log files  :-(

| *estimate job=****
| Using Catalog "MyCatalog"
| Connecting to Client ***-fd at ****:9102
| 2000 OK estimate files=684277 bytes=47,077,206,076
| *reload
| *estimate job=****
| Using Catalog "MyCatalog"
| Connecting to Client ***-fd at ****:9102
| 2000 OK estimate files=685768 bytes=50,348,262,388

Also I did spend time on another approach.

It involves an action at client side.  In the bash shell I did

  for D in $( find /var/log -type d ); do echo "but not all the log files in
it" > $D/.restorethislogdirectory; do

The result is like
| # find /var/log -name .restorethislogdirectory | tail -n 6
| /var/log/pm/.restorethislogdirectory
| /var/log/cups/.restorethislogdirectory
| /var/log/news/.restorethislogdirectory
| /var/log/httpd/.restorethislogdirectory
| /var/log/puppet/.restorethislogdirectory
| /var/log/prelink/.restorethislogdirectory

And at Bacula server side had I a fileset like

| FileSet { Name = "rootbootvar"
|   Include {
|     Options {
|       signature = MD5
|     }
|     File = /
|     File = /boot
|     File = /var
|     File = /var/spool/cron
|   }
|   Exclude {
|     File = /proc
|     File = /tmp
|     File = /var/log
|     File = /var/spool
|     File = /.journal
|     File = /.fsck
|   }
| }

And did change that into

| FileSet { Name = "rootbootvar"
|   Include {
|     Options {
|       signature = MD5
|     }
|     File = /
|     File = /boot
|     File = /var
|     File = /var/spool/cron
|   }
|   Exclude {
|     Options {
|       Exclude = "no"
|       Wild = "/var/log/*/.restorethislogdirectory"
|     }
|     File = /proc
|     File = /tmp
|     File = /var/log
|     File = /var/spool
|     File = /.journal
|     File = /.fsck
|   }
| }

But with no effect.

Other attempts with
| Wild = "/var/log/*/.restorethislogdirectory"
couldn't persuade Bacula to backup those hidden files.

More hints how to get /var/log directories during restore
are very welcome

Cheers
Geert Stappers
--