Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Extremely Slow Performance on VMware

2012-10-01 11:50:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Extremely Slow Performance on VMware
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 11:46:47 -0400
On 9/28/2012 12:15 PM, Rodrigo Abrantes Antunes wrote:

> I have a physical machine that is a Vmware ESX node wich hosts only
> one vm, the one with bacula-director, bacula-sd and bacula-fd (called
> bacula-server), this vm has an RDM with the fibre channel storage
> where the volumes partition is mounted. Then I have all my clients
> (some are physycal machines and others are vms in other ESX nodes)
> with bacula-fd that are backed up. When I manually run a job to backup
> one of these clients in bacula-server I can see (with the command
> htop) that bacula-sd is using 100% of the cpu, I also noted that the
> backup starts at around 4MB/s and after some time it is around
> 300KB/s. If I simple send the same files to be backed up with scp for
> example the transfer goes around 100MB/s. The vms don't have vmstat, I
> use linux own commands.

Make sure that the Bacula database storage is not on the same physical
disk drive(s) as either the Bacula spool directory or the client
partitions being backed up. Bacula does many database writes during a
backup, so disk thrashing can (or will) occur if bacula-fd is reading
from the same physical drive that bacula-dir or bacula-sd is writing to.