Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] More than one job per Windows client

2012-09-21 03:11:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] More than one job per Windows client
From: Geert Stappers <Geert.Stappers AT vanadgroup DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 09:10:13 +0200
Op 20120920 om 23:18 schreef Radosław Korzeniewski:
> 2012/9/20 <lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de>
> > Zitat von lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de:
> >
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > we try to do backups with two jobs in parallel for our Windows
> > > fileserver to get better throughput. Unfortunately both jobs start as
> > > expected, but only one proceed with VSS and saving the other simply
> > > waits for the first to complete. We have set the "max concurrent jobs"
> > > in the storage the director and the client config, so this should not
> > > be a problem. Is this even possible on Windows or are we limited to
> > > one save job?
> > >

> > Not possible at all?
> > No one tested?
> > Or no one cares?

Another option:

The original poster's "unacceptable limit" is not a limit to others
or it is a acceptable one.

> > Would be really nice to know if it should be possible to run more than
> > one backup job per machine.
>
> Hello,
>
> You have to ask developers. There are a mutex in the VSS code which limits a
> number of concurrent VSS jobs. I'm not sure why it is there. Is it a
> limitation
> of VSS or Bacula?

FWIW: I would ask it more open, like:

 Hello,

 With the backup of Microsoft Windows servers I have (the feeling) to go
 through a bottle neck.
 So now I'm trying to create a parallel lane to get more throughput.

and elaborate it with:
> > > we try to do backups with two jobs in parallel for our Windows
> > > fileserver to get better throughput. ------------- Both jobs start as
> > > expected, but only one proceed with VSS and saving the other simply
> > > waits for the first to complete. We have set the "max concurrent jobs"
> > > in the storage the director and the client config, so this should not
> > > be a problem.

Then come with smart questions like

  How is "max concurrent jobs" on a winbacula file deamon propagated into VSS?

  Whatelse beside "max concurrent jobs" is needed for doing parallel backup?

My next step would be doing more research on _my_ problem. Even it fails,
it gives other people more time to respond om my message. The good thing
about it, is that it avoids a rude _same day_ "I DEMAND A REPLY!".

In the occasion of no reply from the mailing list,
I would come back with the results of my research.
Depending of the outcome I would post either

   I have the feeling that I'm building a second neck on the bottle.

or

   If I'm asking for a second neck on the bottle, please say so.

Cheers
Geert Stappers
--
http://www.vanadcimplicity.com/