Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Linux and the LTO-4 tape speed

2012-09-18 18:05:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Linux and the LTO-4 tape speed
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho AT linpro DOT no>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 00:02:23 +0200
Nils Juergens <nils+bacula AT muon DOT de> writes:

> for me (with LTO-3) increasing Maximum block size has had quite the
> impact on performance.
>
> Sadly, with the new setting I had trouble reading my tapes so switched
> back to the old configuration.

in Linux, you can configure your tape drive to accept variable block
size with "mt setblk 0".  without a variable block size, I have found
that you need to set minimum and maximum block size to the same value,
or else Bacula may write an, e.g., 66 KiB block if you have configured
minimum block size to be 64 KiB.  at least my LTO-5 drives will not
accept a 66 KiB write after "mt setblk 65536".

oh, and I'm using max block size of 512 KiB, since that is what HP's own
tape testing tool (hp_ltt) is using.

--
Kjetil T. Homme
Redpill Linpro AS - Changing the game