Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] The next tapes that Bacula will need

2012-08-16 06:49:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] The next tapes that Bacula will need
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:45:15 +0100
On 16/08/12 11:16, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
> Am 15.08.2012 21:13, schrieb Conrad Lawes:
>> At my company, we store  our backup tapes offsite with a storage provider.
>> We have 28-day retention policy for  weekly backups.  May times I not sure
>> which tapes Bacula will need for the coming weekly schedule.  As a result, I
>> oftentime have to manually  change the volume status  in the autochanger so
>> that Bacula completes the weekly backup jobs.
>> Is there a way to query the bacula catalog to determine the tapes that
>> Bacula will need for the next weekly backup?
>
> It works the other way round. Bacula decides which tape to use upon
> seeing which tapes are available.
>
> So you should
> 1. configure the tape's retention parameters so that Bacula knows it may
> use the tape
> 2. load the tape into the changer and update slots
> 3. let Bacula decide to use that tape.
>
> If step 3 fails, you've done something wrong in step 1. :-)

I believe Conrad wants to know which tapes he should be loading into the
changer BEFORE Bacula asks for them.

The queries attached will answer that question and which tapes should be
removed from the changer.

I also have a shell script which will move tapes for removal to the
mailslot magazine - but that is only useful for larger changers such as
a neo8000, which have a mailslot magazine.

#  18
:List Volumes Bacula thinks should be removed from changer
SELECT Slot, VolumeName,VolStatus AS Status,
   lpad(text(round(VolBytes/(1024.00*1024.00*1024.00),1)),7,' ') AS GB,
   date(LastWritten) AS LastWritten,
   date(Media.LastWritten + interval '1 second' * Media.VolRetention) AS
Expiry
##,Storage.Name AS Location
   FROM Media,Pool,Storage
   WHERE Media.PoolId=Pool.PoolId
   AND ((VolStatus='Used') OR (VolStatus='Full') OR
(VolStatus='Disabled') OR (VolStatus='Error'))
   AND Slot>0 and Slot<501 AND InChanger=1
   AND Media.StorageId=Storage.StorageId
   AND date(Media.LastWritten + interval '1 second' * Media.VolRetention
* .98)-current_date > 5
   ORDER BY VolumeName;

#  19
:List Volumes Bacula thinks are eligible for the changer
SELECT DISTINCT VolumeName,VolStatus as Status,
##Storage.Name AS Location,
   lpad(text(round(VolBytes/(1024.00*1024.00*1024.00),1)),7,' ') AS GB,
   date(LastWritten) AS LastWritten,
   date(Media.LastWritten + interval '1 second' * Media.VolRetention) AS
Expiry
   FROM Media,Pool,Storage
   WHERE Media.PoolId=Pool.PoolId
#  AND Media.StorageId=Storage.StorageId
   AND InChanger=0
##Volume is ready to be used
   AND ((VolStatus='Purged') OR (VolStatus='Append') OR
(VolStatus='Recycle')
##or volume is at (98% of cycle time minus 5 days)
   OR date(Media.LastWritten + interval '1 second' * Media.VolRetention
* .98)-current_date <= 5)
   ORDER BY VolumeName ASC ;