Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Concurrent despooling Data with Concurrent Jobs

2012-08-09 08:07:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Concurrent despooling Data with Concurrent Jobs
From: Jummo <jummo AT devio DOT us>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 14:05:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, John Drescher wrote:

>> During the backup one copy job already run and use the first tape drive.
>> In the output I can see that 4 Jobs runs concurrently (one was the copy
>> job). A little bit later I noticed that 2 jobs despooling data at the same
>> time. Will this means the jobs are mixed on the tape volume?

According to [1] this should not happen:
"...While the spooled data is being written to the tape, the despooling process
has exclusive use of the tape. This means that you can spool multiple
simultaneous jobs to disk, then have them very efficiently despooled one at a
time without having the data blocks from several jobs intermingled, thus
substantially improving the time needed to restore files. While despooling, all
jobs spooling continue running...."

> Yes that means the jobs will be interleaved on the same volume. Bacula
> understands that and will have no problem restoring.

Ok, this will end in slow restore times. It's possible to prevent this
behaviour?

Best Regards,

  - Jummo

[1] http://www.bacula.org/de/dev-manual/Data_Spooling.html