Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Fwd: Some Questions Regarding Bacula Implementations

2012-07-31 12:51:25
Subject: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Some Questions Regarding Bacula Implementations
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:49:16 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:49 PM
To: Adam Barlam <abarlam AT godaddy DOT com>

> I have a few questions for experienced Bacula users and how they are
> accomplishing the following feats:
>
> 1)  How are Bacula users Vaulting media from a Library that is still
> processing backups (24x7 Backup Window)?

I am not sure what Vaulting means but you can remove the autochanger
magazines and replace tapes while bacula is doing backups. After
replacing the magazines you need to issue update slots (assuming you
have an autochanger with barcodes).

> 2)  How are Bacula users extending Backup Image expiration dates? Or do
> they just extend media expiration date?

Not sure. In 10+ years of using bacula at work I have never ever tried
to do that.

> 3)  How do Bacula users report status of backups in a past window, only
> see options to report from present to past date.

I am going to skip that one since I am not sure what you are getting at.

> Reporting for Media appears to be limited by the Media Pool.  Is there a
> way to report on Media written to between a specifc time window?
> 4)  Is there a way to import header and file information from a tape that
> has expired?

Yes. As long as the tape is not overwritten you can import its records
back into the database. However one word of caution update your Job
and/or file expiration settings before you do that since you would not
want bacula to expire the data again before you use it...

> 5)  If you have 6 Bacula Servers (1 - Scheduler / DB [Master], and 5 -
> Backing client data to tape [Media]) can you configure a Library with 20
> drives so the 5 Media servers each talk to 4 drives and one of the media
> servers controls the robot arm for all 20 drives, or do you need to break up
> the library into 5 partions and connect each partition to a single Media
> server?

I am not sure about that. I have multiple servers and multiple storage
devices however my 2 drive 24 slot changer connects to a single
server.

John

--
John M. Drescher