Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula base jobs

2012-07-26 13:25:31
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula base jobs
From: robi1a <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 11:01:57 -0700
Hello
I'm trying to implement deduplication in my bacula installation but I didn't
understand how does it fit into my installation. The bacula documentation about
base jobs are not very usable (my opinion). Further I spent some hours in
google but I didn't find any helpful hint.

My problem:
I have 2 servers called asterix and obelix. I want to backup both servers with
bacula. Asterix is the primary server and obelix is rsync-mirror of asterix. So
obelix should be nearly identical with asterix and the backup of obelix should
be based on asterix. The pool resides on disk.

Job Definitions:
Job {
  Name = "asterix-Backup_BUERO"
  Client = asterix
  Schedule = "Sched_1st-sun-Full_sun-Diff_daily-Incr"
  JobDefs = "JobDef_BUERO"
}

Job {
  Name = "obelix-Backup_BUERO"
  Client = obelix
  Schedule = "Sched_2nd-sun-Full_sun-Diff_daily-Incr"
  JobDefs = "JobDef_BUERO"

Schedule Definitions:
Schedule {
  Name = "Sched_1st-sun-Full_sun-Diff_daily-Incr"
  Run = Level=Full         1st sun     at 01:00
  Run = Level=Differential 2nd-5th sun at 01:00
  Run = Level=Incremental  mon-sat     at 01:00
}

Schedule {
  Name = "Sched_2nd-sun-Full_sun-Diff_daily-Incr"
  Run = Level=Full         2nd sun     at 02:00
  Run = Level=Differential 3rd-5th sun at 02:00
  Run = Level=Differential 1st sun     at 02:00
  Run = Level=Incremental  mon-sat     at 02:00

As you see in the schedules, asterix is doing a full backup once a month, a
differential backup each sunday and a daily incremental backup. obelix is doing
the same with 1 week offset.

If I declare asterix as Level=Base what happens with differential and
incremental backup of asterix.
1. Are these type of backups also a base backup?
2. Which backup (full/diff/incr) is base for obelix? All jobs have the same
name.
3. Or do I need an extra job with run a full backup as a "base-only-job" on
asterix and have a reference from both servers to them?
3.1. If yes, what happens if this "base-only-job" is replaced by a new one? Is
the old "base-only-job" still available as long as all references are gone?

I appreciate any info.
regards robi