Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] non standard configuration design

2012-07-18 15:22:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] non standard configuration design
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 15:19:54 -0400
Sorry that I do not have time to answer all your questions, but...

I saw one point that I knew I could help with.  Others may be able
to help with the others...

On 2012-07-18 12:34, Durand Toto wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Im new to bacula and thus have a few questions before trusting it
> with
> all my data.
>
> Here is my configuration and the status of the system:
> OS: GNU/Linux Debian stable (squeeze)
> Bacula version: 5.0.2
>  Database: MySql 5.1.63
> Hardware: DELL TL1200 (Single LTO-5 drive with autochanger of 24
> slots).
>     drive: IBM ULT3580-HH5
>     autochanger: IBM 3573-TL
>     Bar code reader present
> Hardware seems to work fine
>  Tests run: btape test, fill, autochanger
> All daemons are configured on the same server.
>
> My main problem is to understand and determine the proper backup
> scheme as I am in a non standard situation.
> My main issue being that the space to be used on tapes will be much
> larger thatn the space on hard drives.

That should not be a problem.

>  The space available on hard drives is ~ 10TB. The space of archive
> estimated to 100TB/year, i.e. ~200 tapes for the retention period
> planned.
> The fileSets are as follows:
>     - git directory: standard backup
>             - job type: daily incremental and weekly full or
> similar
>              - pools: daily and weekly tape pools.
>
>     - system files: standard backup
>             - same as above but in a different job to
> simplify recovery.
>
> so far its simple, it becomes more tricky now:
>      - rawData directory:
>             - schedule: to be archived as soon as produced
> (trigger can be the absence of new data being saved to the folder ?)
>             - the job name should preferably take the name
> of the subfolder (new dataset) in the folder specified in the fileset
> resource
>              - size (here comes the problem): (~1TB every 2
> days)
>             - pool: data tape pool (tapes will be replaced
> and added every 2 weeks or so).
>             - NOTE: This folder should be emptied by a
> runafterjob directive, as the folder cannot contain more than 1 or 2
> datasets.
>
>     - processedData directory:
>             - schedule: as soon as produced (trigger can be
> manual by user), it seems specifiyng no schedule should work.
>             - size: ~500GB produced every 2 days.
>              - pool: One on tapes (pool data as above or
> separate one), and a second one to NFS or SAMBA share (I dont know
> here if the file archive is appropriate or if a runAfterJob rsync
> command could be better)
>              - NOTE: This folder should be emptied by a
> runafterjob directive, as the folder cannot contain more than 1 or 2
> datasets.
>
> My main concerns are:
>     I want to keep the catalog for the rawData and processedData
> for at least 3years. Preferably without pruning anything and at the
> very least without pruning jobs.
>      From what I understood in the manual, full backups always do
> pruning.

The above statement is not true.

In addition, pruning only occurs for data which has passed its
respective
retention period.  That is, when pruning occurs, it is possible that no
data is eligible for pruning.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/