Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VirtualFull

2012-07-10 18:37:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VirtualFull
From: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: Jose Blanco <jblanco AT dth DOT com>, "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 22:14:24 +0000
> I have a problem with VirtualFull and I don't know whether this behavior is by
> design or I messed up my configuration:
>
> I'm trying to run a Virtualfull backup but bacula is trying to read the last
> virtualfull (which is stored offsite) so it fails. I thought bacula would
> construct
> a VirtualFull from the last Full-incr-diff. Since I haven't run a Full since
> the last
> VirtualFull it seems to me bacula is trying to construct the Virtualfull from
> VirtualFull-incr-Diff. Is this the normal behavior?

I think that's the way it's supposed to work. VirtualFull is a way to
consolidate previous Full+Inc backups into a single Virtual Full backup. I am
doing much the same as you, but at the end of my virtual full backups I run a
catalog backup to my offsite media (USB disk) then purge all the offsite jobs
from the database. The offsite jobs are only for disaster recovery, so they
don't need to be in the live catalog anyway - I would never restore from an
offsite volume unless my backup server was completely destroyed.

I can post my script for doing this if you want.

James