Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] btape speed test and LTO-5 drive

2012-07-05 04:11:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] btape speed test and LTO-5 drive
From: Jummo <jummo AT devio DOT us>
To: Mario Moder <lists AT demaio DOT de>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 04:08:41 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Mario,

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Mario Moder wrote:
> On the search for bottlenecks in our new backup system (Bacula 5.2.10 on
> Ubuntu 12.04 64bit, HP Ultrium LTO-5 drive connected by Adaptec 1045
> external SAS, File pool storage on iSCSI target) I ran the "speed" tests
> with "btape /dev/nst0" because the backups from local disk spool to tape
> only run with 70-80 MB/s.

We use a similar setup: Bacula 5.2.X on Scientific Linux 6.2 64-Bit with Dell
TL4000 Tape Library - two LTO-5 drives (IBM ULT3580-HH5)

> What I don't understand is the result of the next two tests (with bacula
> block structure):
>
> - Fastest zero test (4.294 GB): 84.21 MB/s
> - Fastest random data test (4.294 GB): 81.03 MB/s

We got higher rates with btape test, zero 12 GByte with 121 MByte/s and random
12 GBytes with 106.4 MByte/s, but with a real backup job we don't hit more than
85 MByte/s. We use dataspool to local 15k SAS drives to feed the tape drive. Do
you have real backup job throughput rates?

btape output: http://pastebin.ca/2167291

Best Regards,

  - Jummo