Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Create two identical tapes, with one tape drive.

2012-06-14 18:38:39
Subject: [Bacula-users] Create two identical tapes, with one tape drive.
From: Yougo <hugo.let.35 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 00:36:44 +0200
Hi

A second demand to the list this evening. ;-)

I have an external script that select jobids in my db and then select them for
copying via a copy job into a tape, once the selection is done it sends the
sequentially to bconsole.
This create an external tape archive of the enterprise main data
I am supposed to keep the file records from theses tapes as long as possible,
at least for some particular jobs.

Also, to be fully redundant i want to create a second copy of this archive, the
first one would be stored locally in order to recover some particular files,
the second one is externalized just in case the first one is destroyed in a
disaster. I have only one LTO3 drive so I cant copy directly from one tape to
another.

To keep the catalog as light as possible I don't want to create a second copy
of the file records inside bacula but in want to be able to restore from one
tape as well as from the other one.
This last condition infers that both tape should have the same label.

What methods are possible to make it ?

I have minded in using dd,bcopy… But I cant say which one is the more
appropriated and safe.

Also I tried to write to a kind of "spool file" device and then to dd it to my
two tapes. I saw that bcopy is only writing to a volume that got a different
name, does someone succeeded in cloning a file into a tape

Thanks for your answers

Hugo