Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Relabel steps due to block size change

2012-06-07 13:56:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Relabel steps due to block size change
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Clark, Patricia A." <clarkpa AT ornl DOT gov>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 13:54:26 -0400
On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Clark, Patricia A. <clarkpa AT ornl DOT gov>
wrote:
> There was a thread in January of 2012 discussing how to get tapes that are
> already labeled with a block size that is too small, usually the default 64K,
> to be relabeled in order to be the new block size set in bacula-sd.conf.  One
> of the recommendations was to erase the tape.  Since I had almost 200 LTO-5
> tapes already labeled and otherwise empty, the erase time per tape runs
> approx. 3 hours.  No joy here.

you can do a fast erase with:

mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
mt -f /dev/nst0 weof

Make sure you get the drive right and you have the expected tape in the drive!

Then you should be able to change the block size. As for the method
mentioned in that thread, I have not tried it yet..

John