Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backing up to disk - vtapes

2012-05-21 11:52:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backing up to disk - vtapes
From: "Romer Ventura" <rventura AT h-st DOT com>
To: "'John Drescher'" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 10:49:17 -0500
>> Are the file based backups supposed to increase and decrease the file
>> size for the vtape depending on what's used for a particular run or
>> once the file size is set there is no resize for them??
>>

>They are supposed to increase up to whatever limit were set on them when
the volume was created (or if you issued the bconsole commands >to change
the volume's maximum size). That is unless you are using use volume once or
some other usage limit. Volumes will only decrease size >on recycle if you
have the truncate on purge enabled.

>John

Well, the volumes were purged and recycled before they were used on May-19.
But for some reason the volume did not grow in size to accommodate the new
increased size of this differential run. For this pool I have not set any
usage limit other than Maximum Volume Jobs = 1 as I want each of the 3
differential runs to be on its own vtape.

Pool: MailPool-Diff-tape
+---------+---------------+-----------+---------+----------------+----------
+--------------+---------+------+-----------+-----------+-------------------
--+
| MediaId | VolumeName    | VolStatus | Enabled | VolBytes       | VolFiles
| VolRetention | Recycle | Slot | InChanger | MediaType | LastWritten

+---------+---------------+-----------+---------+----------------+----------
+--------------+---------+------+-----------+-----------+-------------------
--+
|      11 | H22-Diff-0011 | Full      |       1 |  4,836,464,737 |        1
|    2,592,000 |       1 |    0 |         0 | File      | 2012-05-19
14:18:40 |
|      30 | H22-Diff-0030 | Full      |       1 |  4,297,466,908 |        1
|    2,592,000 |       1 |    0 |         0 | File      | 2012-05-19
14:25:44 |
|      49 | H22-Diff-0049 | Full      |       1 | 22,872,857,850 |        5
|    2,592,000 |       1 |    0 |         0 | File      | 2012-05-19
14:11:44 |
--+

As shown above, it started with mediaId 49 and it used all of it without
ever increasing its size. And it did the same for the other 2 vtapes.

Do I need to set any max size in order for the vtape to be able to increase
its size??

Thanks