Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple bacula-sd dameons on same server?

2012-05-11 10:59:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple bacula-sd dameons on same server?
From: Troy Kocher <tkocher AT mtadistributors DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 09:56:53 -0500
On 10/5/12 6:10 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 05/10/2012 05:16 PM, Troy Kocher wrote:
>> Oh wise ones..
>>
>> Demand on my bacula installation is growing and I need to increase the
>> amount of simultaneous inbound data.  One option that occurred to me was
>> is it possible to launch multiple daemons on different ports of the same
>> physical server?
>> All the data is written to disk only, no tape.
>>
>> If not any ideas for increasing my inbound capacity here would be really
>> helpful.  Currently I have jobs configured to cancel when they can't run
>> in their window, to keep things from getting out of control when the job
>> in line first takes to long.
>>
>> Thanks in advance !
>

> First of all, the elephant-in-the-middle-of-the-room question is "How
> sure are you that inbound data bandwidth, rather than storage I/O, is
> your bottleneck?"

As best I can be..?  The server is 70TB with about 10TB used.  It's
RAID6 @ the controller.  I'm using FreeBSD's ZFS on a mirrored SSD
filesystem and a second 250GB SSD for the ZFS's cache.  2x Xeon 2.1
Quad-core, 32GB RAM. It seems very responsive. I haven't tested I/O any
further, not something I've ever spent time on, typically all my FreeBSD
installations run great on the GENERIC kernel.  When I make a backup of
the database on this server, internal disk to disk it runs @
117,365KB/s.  Other servers range from 1,200 KB/s to my first trial
desktop client ran @ 12,523KB/s.  Occasionally I have a client run
~100KB/s, and I haven't determined why.  Most of the clients are
interconnected via 1000MB copper Ethernet, although some may be only
100MB, I'll have to investigate further. As I'm thinking thru my
potential bottlenecks, the Ethernet backbone has the slowest through-put
@ 100MB, perhaps that is the issue?

If I have optimized everything I can find, and still need more inbound
data bandwidth is it possible to run multiple sd instances, pointing to
the same disk array?

Thanks for the response!

Scanned by IBM Email Security Management Services