Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] barcode printing choices (Was: For those of you who might be interested)

2012-04-25 18:28:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] barcode printing choices (Was: For those of you who might be interested)
From: Jerome Alet <jerome.alet AT univ-nc DOT nc>
To: mark.bergman AT uphs.upenn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 09:26:23 +1100
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 05:51:52PM -0400, mark.bergman AT uphs.upenn DOT edu
wrote:

> Unfortunately, our new tape library (Dell ML6010 -- rebranded Adic i500)
> is much more sensitive to the barcodes than our 2 previous libraries.
> The new library cannot read the old labels generated through your site
> and printed on Avery 6577 labels. I'm now using a derivitave of the
> "make_tape_label" script[1] to print new barcodes (on the same Avery
> stock) to replace the existing labels, and am purchasing pre-labeled
> tapes for all new media.
>
> I see this as an issue with the barcode reader on the ML6010--your
> labels were fine with 3 previous barcode readers, and Dell tech support
> acknowledged that other people have had similar issues with the ML6010 being
> very sensitive as to the label format, size, and placement on the tape
> cartridge.

As far as I know my generator fully respects the specification made
available by IBM, but doesn't add any way to add some variability to
account for buggy tape libraries.

In fact I didn't know this sort of problem could happen, stupidly
thinking that libraries than can't read labels made to the specification
wouldn't be allowed to be approved for selling.

I'll see how this could be done in a future release.

Thanks for your very interesting feedback.

--
Jérôme Alet - <jerome.alet AT univ-nc DOT nc> - Direction du Système
d'Information