Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] recover a tape labelled with btape

2012-04-17 04:11:42
Subject: [Bacula-users] recover a tape labelled with btape
From: Chris Ord <Chris.Ord AT digitalpictures.com DOT au>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 07:53:58 +0000
Greetings list.

Whilst doing a restore I have discovered a failure on an LTO4 tape in one of my
pools. The error message indicated that the tape drive had changed from
variable to fixed block size.
The tape changer(HP ML4048) can read the barcode correctly. However bacula
claimed that it was not a valid bacula volume.
After a day of googling and reading the manual I tried to recover or list using
bls/bscan/bextract.
In all instances bacula refused to move forward once it had identified that
there was no tape label.
I resorted to btape(always slight scary). Once I had verified that the tape
didn't actually have a label I applied the label to the tape through the
command line tools.**

**this was a big mistake - i was in the wrong terminal window and wasn't
concentrating

A btape status produces this:
btape: btape.c:578 Rewound "Drive_0" (/dev/nst0)
*status
 Bacula status: file=0 block=0
 Device status: BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN file=0 block=0
btape: btape.c:2138 Device status: 645. ERR=

 And a bextract attempt produces:
[root@fileserver06 ~]# bextract -p -V VARCA038 /dev/nst0
/mnt/storview/restores/bextract/
bextract: butil.c:287 Using device: "/dev/nst0" for reading.
17-Apr 17:36 bextract JobId 0: No slot defined in catalog (slot=0) for Volume
"VARCA038" on "Drive_0" (/dev/nst0).
17-Apr 17:36 bextract JobId 0: Cartridge change or "update slots" may be
required.
17-Apr 17:36 bextract JobId 0: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0"
command.
17-Apr 17:36 bextract JobId 0: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result is
Slot 1.
17-Apr 17:36 bextract JobId 0: Ready to read from volume "VARCA038" on device
"Drive_0" (/dev/nst0).
17-Apr 17:36 bextract JobId 0: End of Volume at file 1 on device "Drive_0"
(/dev/nst0), Volume "VARCA038"
17-Apr 17:36 bextract JobId 0: End of all volumes.
0 files restored.

So that's great because it's labelled correctly,right?

So my understanding is btape has written an EOD or EOF?

Is there a way to 'unmark' it to get at the existing blocks of data?

 TIA

Chris