Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Running out of space on tape

2012-04-16 10:22:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Running out of space on tape
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: jcobb AT skylinecorp DOT com
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:20:21 -0400
> I am using Bacula 5.0.1 running on an Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit server with a Dell
> PowerVault TL2000 tape library attached via a SAS controller.  In the
> library are two LTO4 drives and I am using LTO4 media.  From a backup over
> the weekend I found the following message in the bacula log:
>

> utility-sd JobId 377: End of medium on Volume "000032" Bytes=843,378,278,400
> Blocks=13,073,199 at 14-Apr-2012 19:45
>

> I was hoping to get more than 843GB on a tape that can hold 800GB without
> compression.  I guess I can go to two tapes for this backup in the future
> but I would sure hate to spend money on more tapes.  Has anyone run into a
> similar situation?

Is your data already compressed (most pictures, video or audio files,
zip files ...) ? Remember you do generally do not gain much by
compressing data 2 (or more times).

If that is not the case check for HW errors in your dmesg. Bacula will
assume the tape is at the end when it hits a write error.

John