Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula MySQL Catalog binlog restore

2012-04-10 11:17:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula MySQL Catalog binlog restore
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 11:15:29 -0400
On 04/10/2012 10:51 AM, Joe Nyland wrote:
> I'm a bit ashamed to admit I'm still battling this! I've removed
> '--delete-master-logs' from my mysqldump line, but it hasn't helped.
>
> For some reason, it seems as if the dump does not contain any mention
> of the temporary tables being created, neither do the binary logs,
> however there are statements which refer to bacula.batch, as if it
> should be there.
>
> Could it be that these statements refer to a bacula.batch table which
> was created by another thread prior to the mysql dump being created?
> ...and that's why the "CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE bacula.batch" statement
> is not in the binary logs after the full backup. Surely, if this were
> the case, the bacula.batch table sowuld be included in the dump would
> they not?

No, because a dump will not contain temporary tables.  So if you restore
a dump and a set of binlogs that contain transactions referring to
temporary tables extant when you created the dump, yes, those
transactions are irretrievably orphaned.

> My fear is that because I am restoring binary logs, the binary log
> restores will be running under their own threads (after the main dump
> file had been restored) and thus will be unable to access temporary
> tables created by any other previous threads - making what I am
> trying to achieve impossible.

Ah, yes.  It sounds in any case as though what you're trying to do is to
be able to restore a dump with a state corresponding to an interrupted
Bacula job and then complete the job, and that's simply not possible.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.