Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Catalog backup while job running?

2012-04-03 15:17:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Catalog backup while job running?
From: Stephen Thompson <stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 12:15:54 -0700
On 04/03/2012 08:43 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Stephen, by the way, if you're not already aware of it:  You probably
> want to set innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 0.
>
> The default value of this setting is 1, which causes the log buffer to
> be written out to the lgo file and the logfile flushed to disk at every
> transaction commit.  (Which obviously has a performance impact.)  With a
> setting of 0, nothing is done at transaction commit, but the log buffer
> is written to the log file and the log file flushed to disk once per
> second.  There is a potential with this setting that up to the last full
> second of transactions can be list in the event of a mysqld crash, but
> ... if mysqld crashes in the middle of Bacula inserting attributes, that
> job is blown *anyway*, so there's really no loss.

This is an interesting suggestion.

I wonder if it's possible since I'm running the dump as a single
transaction if my database is becoming unavailable during this flush,
such that the 50 second timeout for the locks the jobs are requesting is
surpassed.  I would expect writes to a database to require more flushing
than read (i.e. a dump), but I wonder if this could explain the jobs
failing at the tail-end of the dump.

--
Stephen Thompson               Berkeley Seismological Laboratory
stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu    215 McCone Hall # 4760